Very few people in the Caribbean are automatically known by their first name and Meiling (Esau) is the tour de force behind the premier fashion house, not only in Trinidad but throughout the Caribbean and South America.
“People think, because I’m a Caribbean designer, everything that comes out of me must be bright and tie-dyed. I say, no, I’m just a designer who happens to be in the Caribbean.”
— Meiling for Caribbean Beat. (2004)
– Meiling was honored to represent her country at the first-ever Commonwealth Fashion Exchange event, which hosted designers and artisans from 52 Commonwealth countries producing a design using principles of sustainable excellence. The main event was hosted at Buckingham Palace, Westminster, London, UK.
– Meiling was appointed Board Member of the Common Wealth Fashion Council.
Honorary Distinguished Fellow in Fine Arts from the University of Trinidad and Tobago.
– National Icon of Trinidad & Tobago
– Invited as one of the top five global designers to Women of Purpose Global Summit
– Ocean Style Award
– Meiling was honoured with the Women of Influence Award The Association of Female Executives of Trinidad & Tobago
– Meiling was one of only two designers in the English-speaking Caribbean to be invited to show at Plataforma K in Colombia. This is the most prestigious fashion trade for Latin America and in 2011, she was the only one invited back
– Chaconia Silver Medal for long and meritorious service to Trinidad and Tobago’s business sector
– “Grand Master of Fashion Design” award at Caribbean Fashion Week in Jamaica.
– Absolut of Sweden commissioned Meiling to design uniforms for the Absolut bar at 51 Degrees, a local nightspot. This collaboration proved so successful that the company concocted an “Absolut Meiling” martini.
– Designed the Opening Ceremony uniforms for the Trinidad and Tobago team at the Commonwealth Games held in Melbourne, Australia.
Meiling is also known for designing and dressing celebrities in the region; from Miss Universe 1998 Wendy Fitzwilliam, Rapso artistes 3Canal, Soca artistes Machel Montano and David Rudder and C in Barbados. International celebrities such as celebrity chef, Wolfgang Puck wears her classic white shirts on a regular basis.
Since 1983, Meiling has worked closely with Emmy Award-winning costume designer, Peter Minshall on his Carnival productions and other artistic presentations. This collaboration has won her accolades, notably for her involvement in the opening and closing ceremonies of the1996 Centennial Olympic Games in Atlanta, She has also helped raised the bar in her work with the Miss Universe Pageant, which was held in Trinidad in 1999.
Meiling is also a recipient of the several Cacique Awards, her latest in 2012 was for costume design.
1 (868) 627 – 6975 / 2122